Location: New York
Reports To: Head of Engineering
The Drone Racing League (DRL) is the premier, global drone-racing league, and producer of world-class drone sports content. At once a tech, media, events, and sports company, DRL blends a diverse array of disciplines and industries.
We are looking for a senior embedded systems developer to take on developing the next generation systems and firmwares at DRL. You will be responsible for programming the many small and large scale embedded projects at DRL, and enabling us to build out our unique platforms and systems. You will assist in the architectural design, selection of parts, hardware and software development cycles and design validation tests for our hardware projects. You should be comfortable working in a continuously moving environment, able to deal with problems on the fly and deliver thoughtfully designed highly-adaptable systems. You will be an integral part of the team designing the next generation of DRL precision flight drones, autonomous drones, drone support systems and race operations systems
- Work independently or as a team member to design, build, test and troubleshoot hardware and software for autonomous, semi-autonomous, and precision flight drones.
- Develop firmware, operating system code, or HDL for various systems and projects, including telemetry, flight control and hardware management systems.
- Program OS level applications, as well as embedded processors.
- Develop testing criteria and fixtures for design verification and production certification.
- Assist in protocol design, architectural design, parts selection and project trajectories for our hardware projects.
- Assist in the identification and implementation of process improvements.
- Collaborate with a strong team and our stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications
- C/C++ skills in an embedded environment is required.
- Experience designing, debugging and prototyping PCBs is required.
- Knowledge in electronic hardware and systems design is required.
- Knowledge of common communication buses such as I2C, CAN, Serial and SPI, and how to debug them is required.
- Understanding of how machine code is emitted by a compiler, and it’s execution on common architectures is preferred.
- Experience programming for Linux platforms, including Embedded Linux.
- Soldering ability is a plus.
- Recent experience with FPGAs, CPLDs and an HDL is a plus.
- Experience with Atmel/Microchip and/or STM32 microcontrollers is a big plus.
- Experience doing PCB layout is a big plus.
- Experience with PID controllers is a big plus.
- Candidates with UAV aircraft, robotics development experience and/or hobby drone experience will be given special consideration.
- 3-5 Years Professional Development Experience and/or Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
DRL offers a compensation package that is commensurate with experience and abilities. Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org