The Drone Racing League (DRL) is the premier, global drone-racing circuit and producer of world-class sports content. As a futuristic sport that blurs the line between the real and the digital, we get to race in the most legendary locations around the globe and immerse fans into video-game-inspired courses.
We are looking for a Lead Embedded Engineer to take on developing the next generation systems and firmwares at DRL. You will be responsible for programming the many small and large scale embedded projects at DRL and enabling us to build out our unique platforms and systems. You will assist in the architectural design, selection of parts, hardware and software development cycles and design validation tests for our hardware projects. You should be comfortable working in a continuously moving environment, able to deal with problems on the fly and deliver thoughtfully designed highly-adaptable systems. You will be an integral part of the team designing the next generation of DRL precision flight drones, autonomous drones, drone support systems and race operations systems.
This position is based out of our headquarters in New York City.
What You’ll Do:
- Work independently or as a team member to design, build, test and troubleshoot hardware and software for autonomous, semi-autonomous, and precision flight drones.
- Develop firmware, operating system code, or HDL for various systems and projects, including telemetry, flight control and hardware management systems.
- Program OS level applications, as well as embedded processors.
- Develop testing criteria and fixtures for design verification and production certification.
- Assist in protocol design, architectural design, parts selection and project trajectories for our hardware projects.
- Lead in on the ground management of the team at all DRL Race events which can include working long hours and weekends.
- Assist in the identification and implementation of process improvements.
- Collaborate with a strong team and our stakeholders.
Who You Are:
- Strong C/C++ skills in an embedded environment is required
- Experience designing, debugging and prototyping PCBs is required.
- Experience programming for Linux platforms, including Embedded Linux is required.
- nd/or experience writing Linux device drivers is preferred.
- Experience with Atmel/Microchip and/or STM32 microcontrollers is a big plus.
- Experience managing a team or 3 or more direct reports.
- Knowledge of common communication buses such as I2C, CAN, Serial and SPI, and how to debug them is required.
- High level knowledge in electronic hardware and systems design is required.
- Understanding of how machine code is emitted by a compiler, and it’s execution on common architectures is preferred.
- Experience doing PCB layout is a big plus.
- Experience with Altium Designer is a plus.
- Soldering ability is a plus.
- Recent experience with FPGAs, CPLDs and an HDL is a plus.
- Experience with PID controllers is a big plus.
- Candidates with UAV aircraft, robotics development experience and/or hobby drone experience will be given special consideration.
- 3-5 years managing a team of direct reports and professional Development Experience
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.