The Drone Racing League (DRL) is the premier, global drone-racing circuit and producer of world-class sports content. As a futuristic sport that blurs the line between the real and the digital, we get to race in the most legendary locations around the globe and immerse fans into video-game-inspired courses. We are seeking a Lead Mechanical Engineer to take on the needs of our growing engineering department. This role must be experienced with the engineering process and best practices.
You will lead mechanical development of future Drone Racing League products and be the point person for all things mechanical on your project. Working closely with DRL’s Media, TechOps, Product, and Electrical teams, you will define and test concepts, provide mechanical stack-up and perform feasibility analysis. You will be responsible for detailed design as well as managing CM resources. Other responsibilities include failure and root cause analysis, testing, production line optimization, and overall mechanical project management. With your deep understanding in Design For Manufacturing of plastic, carbon fiber, and metal parts you will communicate with and support domestic and overseas vendors to ensure cost effective yet high quality parts on schedule. You will effectively drive investigations and experiments and the overall project to completion with an outstanding level of quality.
What You’ll Do:
- Concept definition and product development
- Detailed mechanical design (3D CAD, 2D Drawings)
- Collaborate cross-functionally (TechOps, Media, Electrical, Business) to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products
- Manage CM resources
- Tolerance analysis, vibration analysis
- Build and troubleshoot prototypes, analyze results of reliability testing, iteratively improve the design and bring to production
- Mechanical Project/Part Management
- Domestic or international travel (20%)
Who You Are:
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years in product design and electronics packaging
- 3D CAD Fluency (SolidWorks Preferred)
- 2D Drawing proficiency, GD&T
- Plastic and metal part design and materials knowledge
- Design for Manufacturing knowledge and experience developing manufacturing processes and communicating with vendors
- Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
- Experience in tolerance analysis
- Design oriented with enormous attention to detail and quality
- Experience with mid to high volume production
- Familiarity with manufacturing overseas product development model
- Strong, organized leader with ability to drive projects with little to no supervision
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills. Ability to communicate and present ideas and intent clearly and concisely cross-functionally and with overseas vendors
- Integration of component modules and antennas
- Experience with reliability and environmental testing
- [Bonus] MSME
- [Bonus] Experience in optical image sensors/camera products
- [Bonus] Statistical Analysis
- [Bonus] Drone or aerospace experience
Why You’ll Love DRL:
- We team up. We can promise you’ll work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard and we play hard too. We care deeply about our work and each other.
- Everybody sweeps. No task is ever too small for our team. We sweat the details and are not afraid to get our hands dirty.
- We embrace debate. There are no seats at the table at DRL because there is no table. Everyone is encouraged to share their thoughts and ideas. We embrace the idea that debate is healthy and knowing that an impassioned discourse leads to our best results.
- We stay hungry. We look for the hardest challenges and tasks and once we master them, we look for the next one. We celebrate our victories and are always excited for tomorrow knowing “good enough” is never really “good enough.”
Interested candidates should apply by sending their resumes to email@example.com.