03 August 2016
Position: Software Project Manager
Location: New York
Reports To: Director of Product
The Drone Racing League (DRL) is a premier, global drone-racing league and producer of world-class drone sports content. We are seeking a Software Project Manager for our drone simulator platform. The ideal candidate possesses experience in gaming, software delivery and is a detail oriented, proactive problem solver.
Overview: Drone racing & DRL
Drone racing is a fun and exciting sport in which quad-copter drones fly around a pre-set 3-dimensional course. Pilots control the drones via remote controls, wearing FPV (first person view) goggles to steer from the drone’s point of view. The drones travel at high speeds and can fly inches off the ground to several hundred feet in the air, depending on the course.
The races give the thrill of first person flight mixed with the high speeds and competitive dynamics of car racing. The events create fast, short, exciting content. The drone pilots come from all walks of life and are diverse, colorful personalities with compelling life stories.
DRL is the premiere brand in FPV drone racing. It is the “Formula 1” of the drone world, producing exciting content for both enthusiasts and those new to the sport.
DRL is often described as “a real life video game,” a mentality we have embraced from the beginning. DRL is currently working on an FPV drone simulator that will allow users to learn to fly and race an FPV drone from the comfort of their own home. This will eventually become a proving ground for aspiring FPV pilots, where the top performers in the video game will be given an opportunity to fly in the real DRL season. We are currently developing the game internally, and we are looking for a software project manager to lead those efforts.
• Coordinate internal resources and third parties/developers for the flawless execution of projects.
• Ensure that all features are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget,
• Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical feasibility.
• Ensure resource availability and allocation.
• Develop a detailed project plan to monitor and track progress.
• Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques.
• Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques.
• Report and escalate to management as needed.
• Successfully manage the relationship with the beta testers and users for feedback and integration.
• Perform risk management to minimize project risks.
• Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation.
Desired Skills and Experience
• 3-5 years’ experience in software project management, with direct experience working in video game development
• Experience working in Agile methodology is a must
• B.A. from a top-tier college or university
• Strong people management skills and ability to work across multiple teams
• Demonstrated ability to develop long term plans, allocate resources, and track progress relative to those plans on an ongoing basis
• Highly organized with a keen attention to detail (spreadsheets and checklists are your best friend)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours a must to include nights, holidays and weekends
• Positive attitude, team player
• Knowledge of drone and drone racing a plus
• Desire to work at a high growth, early stage company
• DRL offers a compensation package that is commensurate with experience and abilities
Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the
Drone Racing LeagueContinue to DRL